PDA

View Full Version : e-15 motor

jamescustomdesign
07-25-2005, 09:04 PM
I have an extra motor out of an e-15 and I would like to use it to power either another tractor or a rototiller. I am not certain of what I should do with the small field wiring. I am planning on running a direct to 36 volt drive and use a clutch until I can get some money for a controller. Do I run it shorted, open or parallel to the 36 volt with a fuse. I need help.

Thanks,
Eric

kosinskidl
07-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Starting a DC motor of this size takes a large slug of current, that is why it is started in stages. In the case of the E-15 2 resistors in series with the armature . Step 1 main contactor with both resistors in series + full field current. Step 2 short 1 resistor Step 3 short other resistor. All this with full field current applied. The next 3 speeds involve lowering the field current.

So starting the E-15 motor by applying 36 volts across the armature and field will stress the hell out the batteries and motor. It may work but I wouldn't do it.

See if you can locate the controls from another e-15 and use the resistors and contactors to provide a soft start.