PDA

View Full Version : Tales of a dealer

motormedic
12-04-2006, 09:02 PM
I just joined the club and am not real familiar with these threads, so I hope I am posting this in the proper post. Mark Frerking sent me an email requesting some dealer background.
I work for Hanover Garden Center in Bethlehem PA.. I have worked there since 1968. As I recall the tractors came out in the late 60's. We were dealers from near the beginning and sold not only GE but also New Idea and after the buyout Wheel Horse electric tractors. As I recall Wheel Horse had been working on an electric tractor for some years and when GE wanted to get out Wheel Horse bought it and produced the same design painted red. Then they came out with their own version which had a remote charger and a much simplified circuit and a belt driven mower. We were the leading sales dealer for GE on the East Coast 1 or 2 years. We still repair a few tractors a year from our area.
Our largest sale was for 5 or 6 I5's to Mack Trucks of Allentown. They bought the tractors to pull the lunch carts through their factory. It was interesting going there to do warranty work on their tractors.
I just worked on a tractor which has been cut down in length by eliminating the charger out of the front of the tractor and the wheels replaced with golf cart sized wheels and tires and he uses it to get around at car shows and the like. He has it painted metalic blue and it looks neat.
We have had collectors from as far as New York and Virginia come and buy some of the old tractors we had accumulated.
About 6 years ago we had a women come in and asked us if we could restore a tractor which I had and was no longer using because she wanted to give it to her husband for his birthday. It seems her husband worked at GE in the tractor division. So we tore the tractor apart and did the needed repairs and sent it out to be painted. We rebuilt a mower deck for it. My boss delivered it to the golf course where his party was being held and drove it outside a window and when he saw it he was speechless. If any one is interested and I can find the pictures I could post them if I can figure out how to do that.
Well I hope this is what Mark was looking for and will be glad to answer any questions if I can.
Motormedic