PDA

View Full Version : need AVCO NEW IDEA R36 parts

oldjeeper
04-28-2007, 10:05 PM
hello new owner , nice rider but the charger is missing, and would like to know what i can put in , or if anyone has parts,

i saved the rider from the scrap heap, the family just cleaned out gramps garage , ,,any help would be great, :p WILL POST IN WANTED SECTION

FarmallMan
04-29-2007, 12:18 AM
Is the whole charger missing, or just the timer? If it's just the timer, then you can replace it with one of the Landis charge controllers and all will be fine. If you need the whole charger, then I donno where you'd find one for sure. You can charge the batteries two at a time with a regular 12V charger, but it is a little bit of a pain.

Nick :cool:

mfrerking
04-29-2007, 11:23 AM
I currently have an R-36. They are neat little mowers. I use mine for trimming. Then use a E-20 for the main mowing. The charger is independent from any speed control (other than being wired to the contactor). The brake pedal is also a clutch. When you turn on the key, the drive motor runs at a constant speed (have to be in neutral to start). This really isn't a bad thing. You don't lose any power going through resistors. Ground speed comes from sliding the shifter (right side of mower which is conected to the transmission). I can't quite make out if you missing any electrical components (nine pin..eyelets). Sounds like you may only missing the lift lever for height control (haven't seen the pic). I have an extra one. Take a look at the New Idea Parts Manual in the manual section. Page 52, part # 19, is the Lift lever. Maybe you can find your missing one. There is also an electrical diagram on page 60. Email me and I'll help you out with a operator's manual. I have copies of all the NI Operator's & Service manuals. When I get the chance, I will get them scanned and donated to the list. Hope this helps. Mark

mfrerking
04-29-2007, 12:30 PM
Went and checked my mower wiring. Are you missing the entire transformer assembly? It has a nine pin plug. I may have an extra. Shipping will be high because of the weight. The R-36 takes three 12 volt batteries. They could be charged individually with a good standard charger.

mfrerking
04-29-2007, 04:08 PM
That's great news. Another electric mower back into service. Hope your buddy sold you some true deep cycle batteries. Depending on the size of your yard, regular batteries may due. Just may not hold up to deep discharges. Our local store doesn't carry them in stock. Had to go a battery dealer in Springfield that sells for golf-carts for my E-20. As you may know, batteries are the biggest expense in maintaining these old mowers.

I sent an email to your off-list address about the lift handle. If the one given by this list is not current, please provide or contact me at mfrerking@classicnet.net. Enjoy.