PDA

View Full Version : Push mower conversion

ecs446
03-24-2008, 09:09 AM
Does anyone know of a source for the parts to convert a gas push mower to battery
operated?

Edwin

LionMike_NTN
03-25-2008, 06:09 AM
Hello Edwin,

Have tried this without a great deal of success. You can use an Elec Trak E10m style deck motor and blade, and either run it from your ET via the accessory plug, or add 36 volts worth of rechargeable batteries. Of course a contactor & safety interlocks not to mention a charger if you use onboard batteries.

Trouble with this is the cost. There are a number (increasing) of good, commercially available electric rechargeables on the market now that you can buy ready-made for little to no more cost. Look at the Black & Decker CMM 1000, the DR Power Equipment Neuton series, and the Husqvarna Master 43. This season I am seeing a new one by Homelite at the home centers.

The B&D is substantial and most similar in feel and operation to a gas one minus the hassles and pollution. The Neuton is very light and small and has the advantage of easily interchangeable batteries. The Husky is extremely strong and extremely quiet.

For a reel-style mower with electric advantage look to the Brill 380 and or the Sunlawn series.

Hope this helps

LionMike

ecs446
03-25-2008, 03:00 PM
Thanks LionMike for the info. I found Black & Decker for $399.00. Checked their web site and the motor is $130.00. It will probably be less expensive to buy one rather than doing a conversion.
Edwin

ecs446
03-27-2008, 08:53 AM
Checked reviews online for the Black & Decker and Homelite. Most reviews of the Black & Decker were postive. Almost all of the reviews of the Homelite were negative.
Thanks
Edwin

mfrerking
03-27-2008, 11:14 PM
Edwin,

There are a couple push mower conversions on the builditsolar.com site. Here is a link to one of them.

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Vehicles/LeeMower.htm

rgathright
09-29-2008, 03:33 PM
I tried to convert my gas mower to electric but decided to just buy a new one since cordless mowers are now made out of lightweight plastic.

We should all do our part to save the enviroment and encourage the growth of the solar and wind power industries. Cordless electric lawn mowers go a long ways towards these goals. I recently purchased the Black & Decker Cordless Electric Lawnmower the CMM1200. I hope my review will help you make a decision about our future.

http://www.epinions.com/review/Black_Decker_19_In_24_Volt_Cordless_Mulching_Mower/content_445899312772