PDA

View Full Version : Tractor question..

Indiana_Steve
03-30-2008, 06:03 PM
I looked at three E15 tractors for sale yesterday...I noticed two had tubular steel front axles and one had a cast iron front axle. Since I am new at ET's can anyone inform me about this. Am I just looking at different generations of tractor or what? I want to make an offer on these but want to make sure of what I'm getting.

drDave
03-30-2008, 08:01 PM
I am newer than anyone about this. but I am looking for a tractor...where did you find 3? I cannot find any in Wisconsin. But then I am not sure where to look.

Indiana_Steve
03-30-2008, 09:12 PM
I just run across them once in a while. Not many, I have personaly seen two the past 4 years, excluding these three am checking out. Like I said not many but they are out there.

ecs446
04-05-2008, 12:13 PM
I think the steel axle is stronger. I have an E12 with cast iron. Many years ago I talked to the dealer about getting a fork lift or front end loader and was told that the
front axle on mine would need to be changed to a stronger axle. I didn't pursue the matter any further.
Edwin

FarmallMan
04-05-2008, 03:39 PM
As far as I know, the earlier machines had the cast iron axle, and on later models it was replaced with the tubular steel axle. The steel will tolerate shock loading much better than cast iron will.

Nick :cool:

orionman
04-05-2008, 06:22 PM
If anyone is interested or in need, I have a cast iron front axel that I don't need. It came along as extra parts from the tractor I just bought. If anyone is interested let me know.

Andy

Indiana_Steve
04-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks guys, I would have thought the cast iron would have been better. Go figure.