PDA

View Full Version : batteries in general.....

Indiana_Steve
06-18-2008, 01:19 PM
What are the size of the batteries in a tractor? I can't seem to find that info. If you are using/replacing 6v batteries what is the amp/hour you should be looking for. The same question for 12v batteries if you want to go that route?:hmmmmmmm:

FarmallMan
06-18-2008, 02:56 PM
IIRC, the battery size is a BCI group GC2. What you want is a 6V Deep Cycle with a capacity of about 225 AH @ 20 hr. Here's the specs on the Trojan T-105: http://www.trojan-battery.com/Products/T-1056V.aspx Trojans are very good batteries, but they can be expensive. There are a lot of other battery manufacturers as well that make a good product. Last time I looked (in the fall) Sam's Club had batteries for about $70 each. If you go in, ask for 6V golf cart batteries.

Nick :cool:

Indiana_Steve
06-18-2008, 09:38 PM
Thanks Nick, for the info. I work at a hospital, and we have huge UPS's that we change the batteries on periodically. These are gel-cell, 500 watt , 12v batteries that would "just squeeze" into the tractor. About a 100lb each. These things have bunches of power. I think they would make a good tractor battery..and the price is right.

StorminN
06-19-2008, 01:36 AM
Steve,

You should get the specs on the gel cell batteries from their manufacturer... IIRC, most gel cells need to be charged at a lower voltage than lead acid batteries. If this is the case, you might need to modify the charger in your tractor, or charge the batteries with a different charger made for gel cells.

I mention this because I had two sealed gel cell batteries in my boat at one time, and a friend borrowed the boat and charged one of the batteries with his charger which was set to the wrong setting (lead instead of gel) and the gel cell battery bulged out like a balloon and was ruined... it cost $150 to replace at the time.

-Norm.

Indiana_Steve
06-19-2008, 05:48 AM
Thanks Norm, I am aware that I would need a charger specific for the gel-cells. Used batteries seem to be hard to come by in my area (not ready to but out the cash for new yet) that if something comes along at no cost then I have to look at it as an alternative.

FarmallMan
06-19-2008, 11:18 AM
There's nothing wrong with gel cells, in fact I think several guys use them in their machines. The only 'issue' is the charger incompatibility. If you've got a charger for them, you're all set!

Nick :cool: