PDA

View Full Version : can I make the steering easier?

Morten
07-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Hi,

I use my tiller quite a bit, and have to have weights on the front. I also mow alot and use a snowthrower.

Does anyone have any solutions for making the tractor easier on the steering? Its so heavy on the steering, making maneuvering difficult in small places. Most of the mowing involves lots of turning and backing up, as does the snow blowing.

Anyone have any good ideas?

Thanks, Morten.

Jerry38
07-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Morten, hope thing are going well, sounds like you got setteled in in Norway
you need to take it all apart, the hole that the bottom of the steering wheel shaft set in dose not have a lub fitting, clean it good , file the shaft a little and put on some cold weather grease, do the same on both ends of the 3/4" shaft, with the sectorgear on it, these have brass bushings on both end and get dirty and you need to clean them good open them up with a file ( little more clearance) and grease them good, then do the spindles also. worked for me

Jerry NW Ohio:)

Morten
07-10-2008, 01:06 AM
How about putting roller bearings instead of the ones in there now? That would probably make it turn easier. Anyone know of such bearings? The steering isn't particularly tough when there is nothing hanging off the front of the tractor, but I suppose under load...

Morten.

moonstation2000
07-12-2008, 12:20 AM
How about replacing the steering wheel with one that has a larger diameter?

FarmallMan
07-13-2008, 10:08 PM
Morten, tapered roller bearings would be a great thing, BUT I don't think you'll be able to retrofit them onto the existing axle. But here's another thought:

What about needle thrust bearings under the spindle? The axle bore may have to be shortened up a little to accomodate them, but you would much less work to do than roller bearings and races. It could probably be done with a flat file and some patience.

For some ideas, check out www.mcmaster.com (http://www.mcmaster.com) and search for thrust bearings.

Nick :cool: