PDA

View Full Version : Steering

ted jennings
01-26-2005, 01:24 PM
I Have An E15- The Steering Is Kind Of Skippy- I'm Assuming The Gears Are Slipping By One Another- Does A Person Need To Replace Both Gears Or Maybe Just The Gear On The Steering Column? Is The Column Gear Able To Be Removed From The Column Or Is It Part Of It? I Haven't Looked That Closely Yet-

joelparks
01-26-2005, 07:31 PM
Hi Ted,

my E15 had that problem too when I bought it last fall. One of the first things I did underneath was fix this problem. In my case, I was able to bring the sector gear closer to the column gear by removing a cotter pin and adding spacers on the sector gear shaft, between the cotter pin and the sleeve bearing it hangs in. I've since seen posts from other folks on the list (http://cosmos.phy.tufts.edu/mhonarc/elec-trak/index.html) recommend the same repair.

If the gears are truly worn out, I don't know what you'd do. But there's a good chance that bringing them together will work for at least a while.

Joel

ted jennings
01-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Thanks- I'll Try It- Good Example Of Ingenuity

thumphrey
04-12-2005, 09:26 AM
In fact I performed that same repair just this past weekend on my I-5.

My steering was skipping. Come to find out two things were bad.

One:
The bushings behind the cotter pin were worn paper thing, even the pin itself had started to wear. This is actually a blessing because if it hadn't skipped I would have really had a mess because of the following......

Two:
And most important. I hadn't hit my zerk fittings with any grease in quite awhile, the steering spindles were actually frozen up.(it's only been 45 days since I last used the tractor) I hit 'em with the grease gun and they freed, but I really need to do a complete front end tear down and clean and relube all of the parts.