Notices

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
  1. Re: On-board "Smart" Charger 
    If you could find a MinnKota 330D for about the same price as a NOCO GEN3, which would you choose? Both are 3-bank 10-amp/bank smart chargers. Both are intended to be directly wired to the batteries. Both are from the marine world, where waterproofness is important. Is one of them more reliable, faster, nicer to the batteries, or whatever?

Also, for those who have chargers like these, located in the tractor garage rather than on-board, what type of connector have you used? I've used the flat 4-position trailer connectors, but I'm not sure how many mating cycles they can stand.

Many thanks!

Larry Chace, Ithaca, NY I-5 and E15

2. Re: On-board "Smart" Charger 
    I have no experience with the minnkota, so I don't know. They sound about the same, at least as far as the manufacturer's claims go, anyway.

I use the quick connects that another set of chargers I used had. They are 2 prong sets with protective caps for when not in use. I believe some solar panels that come with quick connects for wiring in parallel use a similar connector. I've attached/detached mine hundreds of times and they seem OK - I do occasionally check for continuity through the connector, though, just to be safe.

3. Re: On-board "Smart" Charger 
    I have an update. After this season started, I noticed the mower still seemed a little 'tired' after charge. When I plugged it in, I noticed 2 of the 3 banks on the NOCO charger went to green after only 10-15 minutes! It would put those banks on float almost immediately, which naturally led to undercharging those banks (even after sitting on float for a week or so). So I am having to charge one bank at a time with my pro-logix 10A charger now (its made by a company called "solar", which can lead to confusion, so remember that when looking it up). It obviously takes 3 times as long to charge, but since I only need to mow every week and a half or so, it still works out - as long as I remember to come out after 48 hours or so and switch it over to the next bank.

So the NOCO only lasted a few years. Its located in the garage, so it is sheltered, but it still sees temperature variations. I'm not sure if that was the problem, but since they advertise it for marine use, I would think that it should be able to handle that sort of thing. I'm a little disappointed. I don't remember exactly when I bought it, but I think the 3 year warranty is just past. I'll try to track that down, and update if anything interesting transpires.

For a replacement, I was thinking of the pro-logix 20A charger. It's only 1 bank, and doesn't look as rugged as the older 10A model I have, but it would charge twice as fast, and i still have the old 10A to operate on a different bank at the same time, so charging would be a lot quicker overall.

I should not I didn't have the gen3 NOCO charger, I had the one prior to that. The features seem to be about the same, just the cosmetics of the case are different.