Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
On-board "Smart" Charger - Page 2
Notices

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: On-board "Smart" Charger 
    I started to reply...then went to the pool.
    It's pretty easy. Hardest part (As John G said) was routing it under. Although I cheated.

Removing the old charger and capping the wires is trivial.
    If you move the batteries you will need to drill a new drain hole.
    Bolting it firewall is kind of tricky. Don't drill into wires. That would be bad. For HouseWiz's tractor I had taken everything off of the plate so there was no risk of hitting anything.

I also cheated and ran 12ga wire from the front to the back. The thermal sensors are in tact, but they are in the front rather then the rear. It should make very little difference.

2. Re: On-board "Smart" Charger 
    Thanks guys!

3. Re: On-board "Smart" Charger 
    When I switched to AGMs I was trying to figure out where to mount my Xantrex TrueCharge 40+ smart charger.

Then I asked myself why I would want my charger bumping around all day with me while I mow. It's not like I charge it anywhere else but my garage. So I used a couple of big dryer plugs mounted on a piece of plywood and I plug the charger into the tractor each time I have to charge.

It doesn't look as nice as bhaines' setup but nothing about my tractor looks as nice as bhaines' setup.

4. Re: On-board "Smart" Charger 
    The same thought has crossed my mind. The only advantage of having it on-board, would be if you took the tractor somewhere else. That and the additional weight up front if you're using a plow or tiller. Ok, maybe I'm really naive here, but why 2 dryer plugs? How did you wire it up? Did you remove the original on-board charger? Can you send a photo?
    Holly

5. Re: On-board "Smart" Charger 
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple Farmer View Post
    The same thought has crossed my mind. The only advantage of having it on-board, would be if you took the tractor somewhere else. That and the additional weight up front if you're using a plow or tiller. Ok, maybe I'm really naive here, but why 2 dryer plugs? How did you wire it up? Did you remove the original on-board charger? Can you send a photo?
    Holly
    My charger's bulk cycle is at 40A so I wanted some fairly robust cables. Since I remove the charger between charges the dryer plugs provide a sturdy connection with good conductivity. I wired one plug to each of the three + terminals (yes I use three AGM in series) and I tied the negatives together at the charger and that's what the other plug is used for. One of these days I'll switch to a beefy 4 prong plug like a bates or something.

Using this method, I have to take the pack out of series before I charge or I get a neato light show with smokey wires. Don't ask me how I know.
    Thank goodness the dryer wires are pretty robust.

6. Re: On-board "Smart" Charger 
    Hey Drombit,

I'll be in Ithaca this coming week - I would like to see your tractor charging set-up. My next rebuild won't have a smart charger. Trying to stick to original stuff on this one. Email me off-line if you want.

Steve
    steve@housewiz.com

7. Re: On-board "Smart" Charger 
    Steve,

If you do go see drombit, take some photos and post them. I'm trying to visualize this in my head, and it would be great to actually see the setup.

8. Re: On-board "Smart" Charger 
    Will do.

I'm on the "let's shorten the ET learning curve" mission myself.

Steve

9. Re: On-board "Smart" Charger 
    Thanks Steve. I'll be looking forward to the pics! Actually seeing it helps out a lot.

10. Re: On-board "Smart" Charger 
    Just went out and took some pics. Will post them tomorrow.