Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Sychronous belt conversion - Page 3
Notices

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Re: Sychronous belt conversion 
    Pewamo,

Thanks for doing the workup on the E-15 pullys/belt setup. That helps a bunch.

DC Forever

2. Re: Sychronous belt conversion 
    Tom,

I'm getting ready to do the cog belt conversion but I can't verify any of the numbers from your post in the Applied Industrial Technologies Catalog or their web site.

"Tractors with a 3" motor pulley and a 6" transmission pulley with 9.5" between shafts and a drive ratio of .5

MOTOR PULLEY TL14H100 1108 ITEM #:2064301 COST $32.50
    BUSHING 1108X7/8IK ITEM #:2050193 COST $12.84
    TRANS PULLEY TL28H100 2012 ITEM #:2064285 COST $63.99
    BUSHING 2012X3/4KW ITEM #:2050491 COST $20.50
    BELT 300H100 ITEM #:3111146 COST $22.21

Need help!

Thanks.

DC Forever
    Last edited by dcforever; 12-26-2011 at 10:46 PM.

3. Re: Sychronous belt conversion 
    Tom,

Sorry for the false alarm.
    I called their service center phone # (877-279-2799).
    All of the part numbers you quoted are good and so is the pricing.
    Apparently their catalog doesn't show everything they stock and the web site really isn't very user friendly.
    Anyway I'm back on track. I'm going to place my order through my local store in Jackson MI.
    I also found out that the old Detroit Ball Bearing store that I used to frequent and I thought was out of business isn't. It just changed it's name to Appled Industrial Technologies.
    Good news, It's still there!!
    Thanks for the post.

DC

4. Re: Sychronous belt conversion 
    Hey DC,

Applied Industrial Technologies has bought out quite a few smaller bearing companies. They bought out Bearings Incorporated by me. Unfortunately, service went down and prices went up after AIT took over. Bearings Incorporated used to be the best place around here to buy bearings and related components. I hope you don't see the same thing happen at Detroit Ball Bearing. Good luck.

Billy

5. Re: Sychronous belt conversion 
    Hi DC

I'm glad that worked out ok. Their online site seems to be hit or miss. The AIT I use in Lansing was also a Detroit Ball Bearing years ago. The level of service there has degraded over time much like the place Billy mentioned. They still seem to have better pricing than the Motion Industries up the road though.

Keep us posted on how the project works out for you. I put my E12s through some severe service this fall by spreading and leveling 2, ten yard piles of gravel. The sychronous belt drive worked flawlessly.

Tom
    pewamo758

6. Re: Sychronous belt conversion 
    Pewamo and Billy M,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep you posted.

DC

7. Re: Sychronous belt conversion 
    Tom,

I just finished the gog pulley/belt conversion but I did make a couple of changes. Same belt but with 16/32 teeth pulleys instead of the 14/28 teeth set you listed.

The reason I did was because Goodyear calculates the HP rating for the belt based on the number of teeth on the smallest pulley. The bottom of their chart is 16 teeth which is good for 8 hp+.

The more I looked at the 14 tooth pulley (which I bought and then took back) the more I thought an E-15 motor would put too much stress on the belt versus your E-12's 20 tooth pulley with a smaller motor.

Because I got the bigger pulleys I had to go with a larger series bushing for one of them. While the assemblies were larger they still had plenty of room, are smaller than the original v-belt pulleys, and give much welcomed increased clearance for the underframe wiring loom. The bigger components drove the cost up 20 bucks.

The part numbers are: Belt-GDYR 300H100, Pulleys-Dodge TL16H100 and TL32H100, Bushings-Dodge 1108x7/8 and 2517x3/4.

Thanks for a great post.

DC
    Attached Images
    Last edited by dcforever; 01-07-2012 at 06:26 PM.

8. Re: Sychronous belt conversion 
    Looks good DC. If you haven't already done so, shoot some clear coat over the center bushings. It won't take long for rust to appear...

9. Re: Sychronous belt conversion 
    I agree Mark, might as well keep it shiney as long as possible.

By the way, that last post let me join a very esteemed and exalted group of "Senior Members" of which you are a part.

DC

10. Re: Sychronous belt conversion 
    Good Stuff that should go a long way to stop belt slippage.
    Thanks Doug from Markham Ont. Canada

http://www.evalbum.com/3985

http://www.evalbum.com/4400