Notices

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Re: Spindle / steering bearing upgrade! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Morten View Post
    ok, PM me when you get them.
    I don't really see a way to PM you with this forum software that i'm familiar with, but the parts are in, it was $12.62 for the bearings and races sets, $.56 more if you want a pair of the square orings to help seal them from outside dirt. Shipping to Norway is $10 for 1st class and $26 for pri mail. Email me direct at game.tech.us att gmail dott com.

2. Re: Spindle / steering bearing upgrade! 
    Thank you for that GREAT suggestion on the upgrade for the steering on my E20 JohnG ...
    It really seams like I have 'power steering' now ...
    It was an FAST ... EASY ... CHEAP UPGRADE that really helps when your adding the extra weight of a dozer blade or snow thrower on the front of our ET's ...
    I was surprised the total came to only $14.88 + $2.00 for postage from a jobber I use in Canada (Toronto)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    Well thanks to posts from others on the list, I decided to order two torrington bearings, four thrust washers and add real bearings in place of the OEM copper thrust washer on the bottom of the axle.

The whole job took less than an hour, including the ordering of parts, removal of the old, clean-up and installation of the new. Before-after effort test time was not included for obvious reasons. I measured the "pull", or apparent steering effort with a fish scale on one of the steering wheel spokes and attempted to pull with a consistant effort at 90* to the spoke.

Before:
    - With operator, stationary, Grass ~ 50#
    - With operator, stationary, Asphalt ~ 41#
    - With operator, moving, Asphalt ~ 30# (results were very inconsistant)
    - No operator, stationary, smooth concrete ~ 34#

After:
    - With operator, stationary, Grass ~ 35#
    - With operator, stationary, Asphalt ~ 27#
    - With operator, moving, Asphalt ~ 12# (results were again very inconsistant)
    - No operator, stationary, smooth concrete ~ 28#

As you can see from the test results, the bearings made a HUGE difference in steering effort, with a greater than 50% reduction in effort. Simple, inexpensive and WELL worthwhile, in my opinion.

Parts: (McMaster-Carr)
    - Torrington bearings (2): 5909K33 = $5.94
    - 0.032" washer (4): 5909K46 = $4.40
    Total cost with S&H ~ $13.00, I received the parts 2 days after the order was placed!

3. Re: Spindle / steering bearing upgrade! 
    Is there any reason the washers couldn't be bought from a local hardware store? I ordered bearings and washers from Grainger and the washers are the wrong dia.

FYI: The bearings are correct, and the Grainger part number is: 4XFN4.

Thanks!

4. Re: Spindle / steering bearing upgrade! 
    Yes, the washers that are supposed to go with the bearings (the McMaster-Carr numbers are correct) are hardened. Soft washers will not wear correctly.

Nick

5. Re: Spindle / steering bearing upgrade! 
    Thanks, Nick! I knew it would be a good idea to ask

6. Re: Spindle / steering bearing upgrade! 
    And two more questions: 1. washer/bearing/washer, or bearing goes right on the spindle first, then a washer? 2. Roller bearings up?

Thanks again. Great post, looking forward to steering without worrying about snapping my steering wheel!

7. Re: Spindle / steering bearing upgrade! 
    The order is washer - bearing - washer. The bearing can be put in either way (there's no top or bottom to it), but make sure you pack some grease into the rollers before doing so. The bearing rollers are hardened, and will wear into the axle and spindle without the washers present (they basically protect the spindle and axle).

Just as a note these type of roller bearings can be used on hardened surfaces (like transmission parts) without the washers, but our steering parts are plain steel.

At one point I ordered a bag of square O-rings to keep crap out of the bearings that I was dispersing to people at cost. I have run out of extras, but another member has started to offer the same: http://www.elec-trak.com/forum/showt...ghlight=o-ring

Nick