Notices

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Re: Electric chainsaw options 
    Nick - I'm not sure what gear it is. I've never seen the inside (i'm new to Elec-traks), and th eguy who owns it is well up there in age, doesn't hear so well, and I would guess has not opened one of these up in over a decade. All he remembers is that they all have the same broken gear, and that he could not find a replacement readily available when he looked (I'm not sure how exhaustive a search he did). Given that all of these are broken in the same place, I was hoping it would be a well-known issue.

I'll see what I can find out after I get back from a family wedding this weekend.
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail. - Abraham Maslow

2. Re: Electric chainsaw options 
    Hi John,

I don't want to hijack this thread anymore than I already have. Drop me an email off list, if you would. kc2dzb <at> nycap DOT rr DOT com

Nick

3. Re: Electric chainsaw options 
    I am certainly interested in this discussion concerning used broken ET chainsaws. Has anything new happened here lately? I would have an interest in the purchase of an ET saw no matter what condtion it may be in!
    Quote Originally Posted by John Mc View Post
    Nick - I'm not sure what gear it is. I've never seen the inside (i'm new to Elec-traks), and th eguy who owns it is well up there in age, doesn't hear so well, and I would guess has not opened one of these up in over a decade. All he remembers is that they all have the same broken gear, and that he could not find a replacement readily available when he looked (I'm not sure how exhaustive a search he did). Given that all of these are broken in the same place, I was hoping it would be a well-known issue.

I'll see what I can find out after I get back from a family wedding this weekend.

4. Re: Electric chainsaw options 
    ChrisW -

I will try to make a point of catching up to the guy with the chainsaws in the near future. I don't know if he's around/open this weekend or not, but I'll check. (He still owes me part of a chute crank assembly for a snow thrower anyway).

He was a bit cagey when I inquired about his asking price for a chainsaw as-is. I think he has not looked in to selling them in a while, and wanted a chance to look in to what the going rate was. If anyone has an idea what one of these is worth (either with the broken gear, or in running condition), I'd really like to hear it. He has several, all in the same condition. I'd love to get one for my brother, but have o idea what to offer.

Do you have a source for replacement gears? If so, please share.

John Mc
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail. - Abraham Maslow

5. Re: Electric chainsaw options 
    John Mc - As memory serves the last time one of these went up on eBay it was in the $300+ category. (This one was complete and in working condition). I would think that half to two thirds that amount might be a fair offering for one that has a broken part but is otherwise complete and would run. I checked the parts diagram on this saw and there is a "Drive Hup" (Item 11, PN 32483) that engages the sproket upon which the chain rides. Then there is what appears to be an idler gear and shaft combination running from the motor, (Item 12, PN 32655). If the broken "gear" is in the later category I would suspect that one might be able to weld and machine the result or perhaps fabricate a new part. As for the "Drive Hup" I am guessing that this may be close enough to other vintage saws that one might be able to canabalize one somewhere. It would really be nice to be able to see one of these up close. If he were to take one apart, or allow you to, and then take a couple of detailed photos of the part in question that would be helpful. My experience is that almost anything can be fixed given the proper context and resouces. dte
    Quote Originally Posted by John Mc View Post
    ChrisW -

I will try to make a point of catching up to the guy with the chainsaws in the near future. I don't know if he's around/open this weekend or not, but I'll check. (He still owes me part of a chute crank assembly for a snow thrower anyway).

He was a bit cagey when I inquired about his asking price for a chainsaw as-is. I think he has not looked in to selling them in a while, and wanted a chance to look in to what the going rate was. If anyone has an idea what one of these is worth (either with the broken gear, or in running condition), I'd really like to hear it. He has several, all in the same condition. I'd love to get one for my brother, but have o idea what to offer.

Do you have a source for replacement gears? If so, please share.

John Mc

6. Re: Electric chainsaw options 
    The owner of the saws is down with a bad cold right now (he's an older guy who is moving a bit slower these days anyway). He said he'll call me when he's feeling better to discuss.

7. Re: Electric chainsaw options 
    Bob did you ever get the wiring to the tractor figured out?

Also I have a question about how you wired it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdowser View Post
    After building a 50-foot power cord from some 10-4 (10 gauge, 4 wires) outdoor cable, and connecting a PTO-compatible jack on one end and a 120-volt, 20-amp, 3-pin, locking jack on the other, I was almost ready to test the concept. Yesterday I built an adapter for the saw that approximates the dimensions and main DC pin spacing of the battery. It plugs into the saw and has a 120-volt, 3-pin, locking receptacle on its face.
    If I am following, you are using 4 conductor cable and a 3 pin plug to provide positive and negative power from the tractor.
    Did you double up the conductors attaching 2 conductor to each of 2 pins (making the equivalent to a higher than 10 gauge cord)?
    Or did you use all 3 pins leaving 1 conductor unconnected?

Thanks
    Tim M