Notices

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: Electric chainsaw options 
    Yes, cheap stuff is cheap up front but expensive on the backside. Somebody's got to keep the Chinese employed, I guess. The Greenworks 16" brushless DC chainsaw is a U.S. design built in China too but, in my experience with off-Grid stuff, I think It'll outlast a modified sine wave inverter by a longshot.

2. Re: Electric chainsaw options 
    My point was that by buying a 12 volt inverter, it is a commodity device,that if it lasts another year[living outdoors half the time under a plexi cover] I will consider it paid for and buy another commodity inverter. 162 bucks on sale at HF right now. So for half the cost of an inverter that lasted you not-long-enough I have the 12v inverter and batteries. Batteries will last at least 5 years I would think, so even if I only get 2 1/2 years out of inverters, it is only going to cost me ~100 bucks a year to run any 120 volt item I can imagine. Cheaper than an expensive 36 v inverter

3. Re: Electric chainsaw options 
    Fine, I was wrong and you are right. Is that what you're looking for? Apparently I threw my $755 away for about 6 years of use and your money is well spent bleeding away slightly more slowly. Terrific. Meanwhile I'm still awaiting word from Greenworks on hooking the saw up to the Elec-Trak while I use it with its onboard battery. I've given up on using the Greenwork's website contact form and I'm trying a direct e-mail today. The saw works really well, so if I can get it to work with the tractor it opens up some really new possibilities.

4. Re: Electric chainsaw options 
    Umm, no

i am suggesting a simple solution that should remain cost effective into the future since it involves no expensive and or low volume hardware. I personally just wanted an original chainsaw but they have been rare/expensive and usually in need of refurbishment so that is why I did what I did.

5. Re: Electric chainsaw options 
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdowser View Post
    Meanwhile I'm still awaiting word from Greenworks on hooking the saw up to the Elec-Trak
    Don't hold your breath. At best, they'll likely view your inquiry as a liability issue since you're modifying their original design. More likely, they'll see it as an inquiry by someone intending to provide non-oem replacement batteries. Not trying to be negative, but this is the mindset you're dealing with.

Take it for what it's worth, hopefully they're prove me wrong.

Nick

6. Re: Electric chainsaw options 
    Finally got a brief reply saying they'd prefer I use the on-board lithium battery. I replied that this was pretty predictable but laid out the reasons hooking it to the tractor made sense. I reminded them that money saved by not buying their batteries might be recouped in additional 40-volt tool sales to those of us with tractors. Also let them know that there are other 40-volt brands out there, and that I'd be posting their replies on this forum. Yeah, we'll see what happens.

7. Re: Electric chainsaw options 
    Bob Dowser, can you measure full voltage across two of the terminals on the battery? You might have to put a load on the battery to see if you still get full voltage. You could then try testing the tractor batteries on those two terminals on the saw and run jumper wires between the other two terminals of the saw to the original battery. I do believe there is a temperature sensor connected to those terminals. I have a gardena battery that will not put out full power unless I put a jumper across the two extra terminals. Let me know if it works.
    -1970 (ish) Elec-Trak charged by a 200w solar array 99% of the time, gas free lawn care since 2007
    -1996 WV Golf Citystromer; 100% electric car
    -1998 WV Golf Citystromer; 100% electric car
    -1992 Chevrolet Blazer, EV conversion done in CA when new

8. Re: Electric chainsaw options 
    Thanks, Morten. What you are describing is exactly one of the options that I was planning to try next. The only drawback is having to still carry the 2.5-pound battery. I was also thinking about using a resistor of proper size to put about .25 volts between either the positive pole and one of the center ones and/or the negative pole and the other center one (I'd have to look back in my notes to remember which goes where, but those are the battery voltages I measure between them). So fa I'm just waiting for another e-mail from Greenworks, but if that fails, and the weather gets back up in the above-zeroes, I'll be trying these other options next.

9. Re: Electric chainsaw options 
    In worst case you could have the original battery sitting on the tractor with two wires from it along with two power wires from tractor batts to the chainsaw. Or just measure the resistance across the two terminals and put a resistor in place.

I'm pretty sure Greenworks will not give you a good answer. They really have only liability to gain from you modifying the saw under their direction. For example, you hook up the tractor batts to their chainsaw as per their directions, then proceed to trip on the cord and cut your leg with the saw. They would probably be afraid to get sued over the whole deal.
    -1970 (ish) Elec-Trak charged by a 200w solar array 99% of the time, gas free lawn care since 2007
    -1996 WV Golf Citystromer; 100% electric car
    -1998 WV Golf Citystromer; 100% electric car
    -1992 Chevrolet Blazer, EV conversion done in CA when new

10. Re: Electric chainsaw options 
    There is an ET chainsaw on Fleabay/EPay in anyone wants to shell out the dough. It's at roughly $300 shipped right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elec-Trak-Ch...item3a8a9a7a4e

As for the options conversation...I like the 12V inverter/120V saw route as the saws and inverters are much easier to come by. I have an ET saw, so I don't do that, but I would as an alternative.

I do use a 12V inverter for things my ET inverter can't supply. I rotate it through 12V battery banks to keep the discharge rate semi-even, and recharge with a 12V smart charger bank by bank to keep the pack equalized. I don't have the need to do it very often, but it works great when I do.

I'm curious as to how the 40V conversion works out. I think that is a great option. Good luck with it!

Billy