Notices

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: Electric chainsaw options 
    Yeah, you're probably right about Greenworks. Customer service these days is more about lawyers than service. One of the reasons I used a 120-volt Makita saw with an inverter was the cost of the old ET saws for what you're getting. Another reason was the size of the power cord, since 40-volt stuff needs more copper. But now that I'm used to lugging a 12-gauge cord around anyway using the inverter, the doubled 10-gauge (10-4) cord doesn't seem like such a hardship. I definitely prefer the modern saws in terms of weight, safety, high chain speed with low vibration, etc. But using the Greenworks saw on just its lithium battery sure is tempting! I have too much experience with cheap 12-volt inverters to go back in that direction.

2. Re: Electric chainsaw options 
    Another update on the Greenworks chainsaw. It finally warmed up enough (briefly) to actually do some cutting for a couple of days, for our 2015-2016 wood supply. I haven't worked on the cord for the tractor any more yet, but I decided to just see how the Greenworks saw with its on-board lithium battery compares with the Makita UC4030A, AC powered saw that I've been using. The Greenworks saw has a wider toothed chain and a slightly slower speed than the Makita, but it has way more torque in heavy cutting and its speed never wavers. It actually out-cut the Makita by probably 50%, despite throwing wider chips. After bucking up an entire 12-inch boxelder tree, at about 10F outside, the saw gave me a red light and double beep indicating battery depletion. I'm impressed by the cutting, the quick start-up, and by the instant stop when you release the trigger. This inspires me to work further on the cord for the tractor. When we get past this next long cold spell maybe I'll finally get to it.

3. Re: Electric chainsaw options 
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdowser View Post
    Another update on the Greenworks chainsaw.
    You could try to take the battery apart, see what electronics are inside it and how they are hooked up and remove them from the actual lithium cells and place them in the saw permanently. I'm also very interested in doing this, so will be watching this thread closely!
    Last edited by akaviolence; 12-01-2014 at 02:48 PM.

4. Re: Electric chainsaw options 
    With the weather here cold, rainy, and very windy I'm still not inspired to head out to the shed to do a bunch of complicated wiring and measurements. Checking out the internal battery wiring is something I'd contemplate after the battery warranty expires but probably not before.

My first plan is to hook the battery up externally using just the center two contacts (labeled "C" and an omega sign) and with the tractor PTO outputs going to the two main DC contacts in the saw.

If this works, my next strategy is to measure the voltages running between each of the communication contacts, from battery to saw, while the saw is operating. I want to check for DC voltage and amperage, possibly DC voltage and amperage, and, if I find any AC/pulsed DC, the duty cycle and frequency. Hopefully I can find a suitable substitute for whatever the battery is providing at that point.

C'mon weather, warm up a bit!!

5. Re: Electric chainsaw options 
    Interesting thread. I'm curious to hear if you ever figured this out.

I fear that using an Elec-trak to power a cordless tool is only going to get more complicated in the future. Manufacturers are putting a lot of time and effort into improving the "communication" between the tool and the battery - in an attempt to increase max current draw a battery can withstand, how long the battery will last on a charge, and how many cycles a battery will take before failure. This is especially true with the newer lithium battery powered tools.

An electric chainsaw is one tool I will not use. Most chainsaw safety chaps are NOT rated for use with electric chainsaws (with a gas engine, the fibers in the chaps clog the saw up, eventually stalling the saw. That doesn't happen with an electric motor - it keeps trying to turn as long as the trigger is depressed, and tends to have much more torque at lower speeds than a gas engine).

BTW - if anyone wants one of the original Elec-trak chainsaws, I was just in the workshop of a guy who has several of them sitting around. I have no idea what shape they are in, but he has them. I can find out what he wants for them if you are interested. They would not be my choice for cutting wood, even if I wanted to use an electric chainsaw (they lack a lot of the safety & convenience features of modern saws), but might be of interest for someone wanting to have original accessories to go with their tractor.

John Mc

6. Re: Electric chainsaw options 
    Well, color me interested, I have quite a few attachments now , so a chainsaw wouldnt hurt

7. Re: Electric chainsaw options 
    I have NO idea what they are worth. The ones I saw did not have chains on them, but appeared otherwise complete. I MIGHT be making a trip back up there later today. I'll see if I can get pictures, and ask what he wants for one of them. Do you have a ballpark idea of what they go for these days?

8. Re: Electric chainsaw options 
    Gus - If this forum has the ability to send a private message or email, I can't find it.

I see you are in Massachusetts. I'm headed to Shutesbury on Friday for my Brother's wedding. Staying at the Red Roof Inn in Deerfield (near Greenfield, I think). If you are anywhere in that neighborhood, I could bring you a chainsaw when I come, but I'll need to hear very soon (I won't have time to run up and get it before I leave on Friday).

I'm fairly familiar with gas chainsaws, so know a bit of what I'm looking at, but I'm not at all familiar with this particular type of saw, or electric saws in general.
    Last edited by John Mc; 10-09-2014 at 07:27 PM.

9. Re: Electric chainsaw options 
    Turns out that all of this guys ET chainsaws have the same broken gear in them.

Does anyone have a source for the gears?
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail. - Abraham Maslow

10. Re: Electric chainsaw options 
    Is it the gear that drives the sprocket? I can look at mine and see what I can tell.

Nick