Notices

Thread: Charger dead?

1. Charger dead? 
    I am working on a dead charger on my bench. It will not even hum when plugged in with timer on. House circuit/AC cord/timer/molex plug all good. Wires from transformer visually look good. When it was in an E-16 charging it did blow a house circuit and melted portions of the molex plug, since repaired. Fatal short within the transformer? Thanks. Mike.

2. Re: Charger dead? 
    When the charger had it's "event", was that while the tractor was in your possession or was it before your ownership? Have you verified the transformer itself is getting 120 volts? Does the timer run? My suspicion is that the contacts on the timer disintegrated during the meltdown.

That being said, sometime caused the meltdown. It could be a shorted transformer, shorted diodes, or possibly the cap. Even if you find that the timer is messed up, if you don't find the original reason for the meltdown, it will happen again.

The Homeowner's Service Manual has a good section on troubleshooting the charger.

Nick

3. Re: Charger dead? 
    While on the bench I powered it up using a spare cord/timer/plug assembly known to be functional and got no "hum", prompting me to write the query. Would a bad capacitor prevent the transformer from humming? Would shorted diodes? I did follow the troubleshooting section but the line of reasoning for
    no hum stops with "check for a burned winding in the primary". Perhaps a continuity test for the primary and secondary winding is in order. Mike.

4. Re: Charger dead? 
    A charger will hum even with a bad cap. I would advise checking each of the three windings for continuity that should tell you a lot. I assume when you replaced the molex plug that you installed the pin jumpers in the appropriate spots.

Nick