Notices

1. Leaking Transmission 
    I have an E12 (front mount deck) that has a leaking transmission. Any recommendations on how to track down the leak?

2. Re: Leaking Transmission 
    Have you crawled under the tractor and put some eyeballs on it? Where exactly is it leaking from? Axle seals? Case seam/gasket? Has the trans been serviced recently? I had one leaking from the axle seals. The previous owner had overfilled it. I drained/refilled it and it never leaked again.

If the trans is really dirty/oily and you can't pinpoint where it's coming from, you may have to clean/de-grease the trans to see where the leak is originating.

Good luck!

Billy

3. Re: Leaking Transmission 
    I have not crawled under. Where is the fill point? It probably has never been serviced in 40 years. I am the second owner. My father in law lived next to the first.

I will have probably have to degrease. Any recommendations on how? Not really sure where the leak is coming from , I need to figure it out.
    Last edited by mbanks850; 11-10-2015 at 04:04 PM.

4. Re: Leaking Transmission 
    There is a drain plug on the bottom, and a fill plug on the back side.

http://electrictractorstore.com/inde...=14&chapter=10

I personally don't worry about the "full" 64 oz. I fill it to the bottom of the fill plug and call it a day. Never had an issue.

5. Re: Leaking Transmission 
    I think I found the leak... it is coming from between the axle housing and the transmission cover. If you were standing on the side looking down the axle, the leak seems to start at about 2 o'clock. What would it take to repair this leak, or should I not worry and just keep adding oil.

6. Re: Leaking Transmission 
    Is the leak point at a higher elevation than the bottom of the fill hole? It sounds like it might be. If so, I would definitely drain/refill it. It probably could use fresh oil anyway.

As far as replacing the gasket...the hardest part will probably be removing the hub off of the axle. Those tend to fuse themselves to the axle over time. The trans will need to be removed for the procedure as well. If it's not a bad leak, I would live with it. It's a 40+ year old tractor. They sometimes leak! Your leak tolerance may be different than mine.

7. Re: Leaking Transmission 
    Thanks. the leak is at the fill hole level, if not just slightly below. I can live with a leak. Just wanted to make sure it wasnt really a sign of a more catastrophic failure.

8. Re: Leaking Transmission 
    You could even try cleaning around the flange really good and applying some sealant around it. There is no pressure behind the oil. It may slow the leak a little.??? It might be worth a try.

9. Re: Leaking Transmission 
    yeah, the axle housing seals to the case with a gasket or O-ring, so it is really more trouble than it is worth to remove the hubs and change it unless it is leaking a whole lot. I'd say drain it, clean the area, and apply some sealant around the joint.