Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Kelly Controller
Notices

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Kelly Controller 
    I installed a Kelly controller on my E12 with PM motor yesterday. so nice to be rid of the toaster and actually have variable speeds! I hoped that would solve the motor tripping on overheat but it did not!

2. Re: Kelly Controller 
    I have had Klixon breakers get "weak" over the years. The other possibility is that the breaker is fine an something is causing the motor to draw excess current. Possibilities are bad bearings in the motor or trans, or the brake hanging up slightly. Do you have access to a clamp on ammeter to actually see what the motor is drawing?

Nick

3. Re: Kelly Controller 
    Apparently, I can't seem to edit my previous post. The above reply is predicated on the assumption that it is the Klixon that's tripping. This would result in everything, "Fuel Gauge" and all, would go dead. Then after some time, it would cool off and reset.

Nick

4. Re: Kelly Controller 
    It is the thermo breaker in the motor that is opening (CB-3) It just stops the drive, everything else keeps running. When this breaker opens it releases the RTN relay taking power away from the drive controller. I had to wire the RTN a little different with the kelly controller but it essentially does the same thing. Maybe the old girl just need some exercise! She ran a lot longer today before tripping!

5. Re: Kelly Controller 
    This is a late model e12 with a PM drive motor. ( like an E14)

6. Re: Kelly Controller 
    As well as having precise control of the motor speed the kelly controller has given me great regen braking! Much safer on hills.

7. Re: Kelly Controller 
    Which model Kelly controller did you get and from where?
    Thanks Doug from Markham Ont. Canada

http://www.evalbum.com/3985

http://www.evalbum.com/4400

8. Re: Kelly Controller 
    I got this one http://kellycontroller.com/kds36100e...ler-p-270.html And I ordered it directly from Kelly. They are very nice to deal with and answered all my questions politely and promptly.. I wonder if I should have gotten the 200A? I measured the amps to the motor before I ordered it and couldn't get it to draw more than 90a even if I abused it so thought I would try the smaller one! If it burns out it will be lesson learned I guess but I've put about 5 hrs on the tractor with it and it works flawlessly!

9. Re: Kelly Controller 
    If anything the controller is going to protect the motor, the controller you got has a 60amp continuous output ratting.
    If the breaker still keeps tripping there must be something wrong with the motor, stiff bearings ???

How or what did you use for a potbox?
    Thanks Doug from Markham Ont. Canada

http://www.evalbum.com/3985

http://www.evalbum.com/4400

10. Re: Kelly Controller 
    I used a pot from a Kubota tractor (I am a mechanic for Kubota) I mounted it on the original controller with a linkage that advances it both for forward and reverse and utilizes the original microswitch to change from forward to reverse. Tractor looks and operates like original except instead of 3 speeds they are now infinite . I mounted the controller right under the original speed control lever firmly onto the aluminum casting to get as good heat dissipation as I could. this required moving the reverse solenoid and the PTO solenoid to the left and up to get room for the Kelly controller. I removed the 1A and 2A solenoids and the wires to the front resistor . rearranged a few of the smaller wires to get the power going where I needed it and that was it!(took a lot longer to do it than it did to write this though!)