Notices

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Re: Kelly Controller 
    Well as smart as they actually think they are they are actually wrong! The tiller motor is a cumulative compound dc motor and is just as easily reversed as any other dc motor. The armature terminals (the ones nearest the end of the motor) must be crossed over to the opposite side to effect reverse rotation. The only thing that makes them "made for" the rotation on the tiller is that the short connecting straps effect that rotation whereas opposite rotation necessitates cables going round to the other side to connect the armature to the field. Sometimes though, these motors have their brushes on an angle that favors the "designed" rotation making the motor less efficient in reverse. I haven't removed the cover yet to see if these ones are like that. If they are not, they are very desirable traction motors because they have great starting torque like a series motor but are not prone to running away! I am even more intrigued to experiment with it now, maybe even try connecting and disconnecting the shunt winding to see if it will increase the speed without unduly reducing the output torque! ( motor will have relatively low starting torque without the shunt winding)

2. Re: Kelly Controller 
    It would be fun to experiment with a PWM controller on the shunt in the tiller motor. they would not have been very practical in the 70's with the resistor type speed control but today, with modern electronics! I can hardly wait to experiment with it!

3. Re: Kelly Controller 
    Some pictures of the linkage to control the POT on my E12
    Attached Images

4. Re: Kelly Controller 
    My tractor with mower
    Attached Images
    Last edited by eserv; 06-13-2016 at 12:12 PM.