Notices

1. E15 clicking sound and tractor motor not getting power 
    After nearly 15 years of light use, it finally broke. I went to use my winch on the back (yes, non standard equipment) and it wasn't working. I noticed that the B5 battery cable had been melted off the post and the nut was fused, but the tractor still ran. I tried to untighten the nut but broke the terminal loose, purchased new battery. Put it all back together but now I get a clicking noise from one is the contactor's. I attempted to determine which one but is nearly impossible, switched out the one suspected one but no good. I had also replaced one control relay but this did not help as well. Still get a clicking noise somewhere around the contactors. I have two more on order but wonder if these units can even make a clicking sound. Any thoughts on this??
    Cam

2. Re: E15 clicking sound and tractor motor not getting power 
    And if anyone knows of a complete Altrax kit including pot, speed control, wiring, nut bolts, everything included with great installation instructions please let me know. I left a note with the Electric Tractor Store but they are on extended vacation. Thanks!
    Cam

3. Re: E15 clicking sound and tractor motor not getting power 
    Hi Cam, are you looking to fix the original controls or just replace? I'm certainly willing to offer some ideas on troubleshooting the controls system, but I have no experience with controller retrofits.

If you want to try to troubleshoot the original, the following are some questions for you: What sub-model of E15 do you have, it's on the serial number plate? I assume you've already checked the controls fuse, was it blown? What are the gauges doing when you get the click? Any obvious wiring damage? Did the drive motor pulley or belts chafe through the bundle of wires that run along the side of the frame? When you're getting your click, what are you doing with the speed controller to get it? If this is a control card type of model, when you move the controller into the reverse position does the reverse relay close (assuming there is weight on the seat)?

Nick

4. Re: E15 clicking sound and tractor motor not getting power 
    Hi Nick- I'd like to change everything out at some point but I'd also like to nurse this along. So in answer to your questions:

What sub-model of E15 do you have: 26AE15AA
    I assume you've already checked the controls fuse, was it blown? Both the Power cut off wired fuse and 3 standard fuses are all ok, haven't checked the motor fuse yet.
    What are the gauges doing when you get the click? Fuel buries itself on E, Power goes about 1/4 inch into green.
    Any obvious wiring damage? Did the drive motor pulley or belts chafe through the bundle of wires that run along the side of the frame? No, happened once before and fixed that.
    When you're getting your click, what are you doing with the speed controller to get it? Moving the speed control forward and reversing speed as well
    If this is a control card type of model, when you move the controller into the reverse position does the reverse relay close? Yes on control card, the reverse shutters but does not actually click shut (this is the controller I replaced also).

thanks Nick-
    cam
    Cam

5. Re: E15 clicking sound and tractor motor not getting power 
    Hi Cam,

Sorry about the delay, it's been a very busy few days. I have a friend that has a later model control card type of E15 that experienced a nearly identical issue to what you're having (although, there was no battery meltdown). On his machine, I had previously replaced all of the control card edge connectors so I ruled them out. I did find that tightening up the female pins in the white molex connectors with a jeweler's screwdriver helped his tractor come back to life. We also charged his batteries at the time as well. We decided that if there was a next time that we would change all the pins out (there hasn't been a next-time so far, and we're going on 2 years now).

I have also heard from others that have experienced this issue that replacing the fuse block solved their issue. I think Radio Shack or possibly the auto store may have an appropriate fuse holders, or you can try cleaning yours up with a Dremel wire brush. Let me know how you make out.

Nick

6. Re: E15 clicking sound and tractor motor not getting power 
    Here's what I completed thus far, clicking is coming from contactor "L", replaced that, and contactor "1A". Replaced the forward and reverse relays. Replaced two broken switches in the speed control. Still getting the clicking from contactor "L" (they now have plastic fittings that allow you to see the sparking inside the contactor). I'm at a loss, any comments??
    Cam

7. Re: E15 clicking sound and tractor motor not getting power 
    Just read your response Nick, not sure what the " tightening up the female pins in the white molex connectors", where exactly are these connectors?

Thanks
    cam
    Cam

8. Re: E15 clicking sound and tractor motor not getting power 
    Holy crap-in-ole, blown fuse! Spent $200 to find a damn 10 cent fuse, of which I had previously checked. For you older guys, take a magnifying glass when checking these. And I had to mow 1 1/2 acres of lawn in 100 degrees at 78% humidity...serves my ass right!!

Thanks Nick, you pointed me back the fuse block!!
    Cam

9. Re: E15 clicking sound and tractor motor not getting power 
    Glad to hear you got it going again Cam! On a positive note, you have some spare contactors now.

To clarify what I meant regarding the molex connectors, they are located in between components like the speed controller mechanism, the dash panel, etc. and the main wiring harness. They are white plastic and usually have 3 rows of connectors. When you split them, you will see one half of the connector has male pins, and the other has female. The female pins are not a solid circle, but have a split line. You can squeeze the little metal female terminals closed by prying on them with jeweler's screwdriver.

Nick

10. Re: E15 clicking sound and tractor motor not getting power 
    Good to know Nick, thanks again!
    Cam