Notices

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: Where to start moving forward 
    The machine work on the commutator looks good! Yes, the commutator bars should have separation between them. What you're likely seeing there is copper that has mushed over during the machining process. This is very common. I would use a hooked pick to lift up the copper, working your way from the outside of the commutator and working in towards the windings. Going only in that direction will keep you from slipping and scoring the commutator bars where the brushes ride (which would result in a trip back to the machine shop). Pick the majority of the copper out with the pick the best you can, the copper flash-over will break off pretty quickly if it's flexed back and forth a few times. Then I use an Exacto knife with a new blade to trim the burrs, again working from the outside in. It doesn't have to look perfect, but they do need to be isolated.

Nick

2. Re: Where to start moving forward 
    I did not get the original motor back together. I am still working on that one. However, I did get a used motor from a vendor on this site. It arrived yesterday. I tested it on the floor of the garage and it worked. It took me a couple of hours to install it. Lo and Behold it worked great! I drove the E20 around for a half hour and it was still going strong, so I put the mower deck on and mowed for a half hour and quit because I was finished! I am now among all of the very many happy ET owners.

There are a few things that I want to add. I will add a rear hitch just for pulling a cart and a double seat for family to ride through the woods. My next project is to get the snow blower motor running. May need more help.

Thanks for all this Club does for owners, especially those that were so helpful to me. I hope to become a contributor soon.
    Attached Images

3. Re: Where to start moving forward 
    Good to hear you're back up and running again! Keep us up to date on how things are going for you, and of course if you've got questions.

Nick