Notices

1. Leak from Transmission 
    I have leak in my transmission. I have identified the source of the leak. It is at the seal around the shaft that is connected via the belt to the electric motor. Forgive my incorrect terms as I do not have a manual. My tractor is an E20DA. Thanks to you guys, I have been able to keep it running nicely for a number of years. The leak is significant enough that I will not be able to disregard it. I am losing about two teaspoons of gear oil per day. I replaced fluid last year using 85-140 (MasterPro GL-5 regular). This is when my leak started.

My questions are:
    1. Is there a way to deal with this without removing and disassembling transmission/trans-axle?

2. How big of a nightmare is it if I undertake replacing the seal? (Manual needed?)

3. Are parts readily available?

My thanks to all.

Ed Coughlin

2. Re: Leak from Transmission 
    The input shafts are known for wearing and leaking. I know that seals should be available, and I've heard others say that replacement input shafts are available but I'm not sure where you would source them from. Perhaps a call to the parts suppliers (Jim at www.electrictractorstore.com or Harold Zimmerman) could prove to be successful. I have seen "rebuild" kits for the transaxles on ebay too, but the only include the gaskets and possibly the seals too.

The manuals section of this website has a transaxle service manual that covers full rebuild and service procedures. You will likely need to remove the transaxle to do this service, and it is heavy, so plan accordingly.

Nick

3. Re: Leak from Transmission 
    Thanks Nick. I have since been in communication with Jim Coate about replacement gaskets and poured over the transaxle service manual. Does anyone know if I have to dismantle the transaxle to replace the seal on the input shaft? That was not obvious to me. Merely removing the transaxle will be a significant adventure. Thus far, I have determined that I'll be grinding off all of the bolts holding the axles to the frame. Maybe a cup under the transaxle for another year isn't so bad.

Cheers,

Ed

4. Re: Leak from Transmission 
    I've had pretty good luck wire brushing the exposed threads and applying Kroil or some other similar penetrating lubricant.

I don't know for sure, but I would imagine the shaft would have to be pulled in order to replace the seal. I've never had a transaxle apart, so I can't say for sure. I have removed/replaced entire transaxles, and have done it without the batteries installed, which helps with tractor weight. The motor and transaxle are still quite heavy, but removing the batteries makes it a more manageable job. Having a good hydraulic jack on hand will also be a big help.

If you're not using the tractor for snow removal, it might make a good winter project. A cookie sheet might be a good alternative in the mean time.

Nick

5. Re: Leak from Transmission 
    Thank you Nick. I believe I'll try the "cookie sheet" solution until I have more confidence in my abilities.