Notices

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: E14 PTO Electrical Question 
    Also:

Not sure this matters but I see that my E20 is wired differently at the PTO switch. The E14 has wire 27 by itself on the switch with 26 and 5-03 being together on the outside toward the lift switch. My E20 has 26 and 27 together toward the center and 5-03 by itself on the lift switch side. E20 also gets a little warm when PTO is on but not under load.

Wondering if there is always some amount of minor heat after the momentary switch is activated and the PTO stays in the "run" mode? But this still doesn't account for the E14 being able to run the fork lift using just the momentary pathway with no heat at all but there being heat once the run circuit is activated.

2. Re: E14 PTO Electrical Question 
    What you're observing with the meter seems correct the diode. The brake pedal behavior is normal, getting off of the seat would stop both the PTO and drive motors. I'm not sure what model E20 you have, but the later models with the start/run switch should be wired the same way. This allowed one less relay to be used and still have the RTN function.

What I'm curious about is what the coil voltage is (voltage across the small studs) without the orange wire hooked up, and again with it hooked up. I'm trying to decipher what the difference is between the two configurations. If the large terminals aren't getting warm, then the load carrying contacts in the contactor are in good condition. Is this a black plastic or metal can type contactor?

Nick

3. Re: E14 PTO Electrical Question 
    encased contactors. Well, you were right. The orange wire is a red herring. With 3-02 on the voltage across the small studs is 36 or so (analog meter) and stays that way with fork lift activated. Without the orange wire there is no voltage unless the momentary switch is held on. That has 36 volts too.

I decided to hold that momentary switch on for a long time to give it equal time with the run configuration that 3-02 would provide. It finally did heat up just like the normal configuration. Since there is so little actual use with the fork lift (just during the lift) it never really got enough play to heat up when I tested before.

Not sure where that puts us now. I checked all wires and studs, and all the battery cables, and all the other contactors, the master disconnect looking for any other heat that might show what the cause is. Nothing.

I don't think its normal but if its not harming anything maybe I'll just live with it like this.

4. Re: E14 PTO Electrical Question 
    metal can contactors

5. Re: E14 PTO Electrical Question 
    Eric,

I'll try to get a coil resistance measurement on a couple of contactor coils, then you can compare to the contactor you have in your machine. If it's getting overly hot, I'm wondering if it's not a 36 volt coil.

Nick

6. Re: E14 PTO Electrical Question 
    Thanks. This will give me some assurance if the numbers look good.

7. Re: E14 PTO Electrical Question 
    Hi Eric,

I measured a few of the contactors that I have on hand here. The single pole oem ones I have all measure around 110 ohms. The new replacement I have is around 130. The oem double contactors I have for an original style E20 are also around 130 ohms. All are labeled as 36 volt coils.

These resistances at 36 volts will burn about 10-11 watts. Over time, I would probably expect them to get pretty warm. Other factors like control wire length in other models will reduce the voltage available to the contactor coil, and power draw (and heat) accordingly.

Make sure you disconnect the control wiring before measuring the coil resistance.

Nick

8. Re: E14 PTO Electrical Question 
    I know I'm late on the start of this conversation, but I think maybe we should compare the lift load with a different attachment. I have seen many times where the PTO outlet and corresponding cord are wired differently, although, since the lift is working, it may not be a problem. Have you checked this with a mower deck, Eric? Anything else that you've used before will do. I have replaced the PTO outlets before, as well as the cords. If it's still heating with another attachment, it may be worth it to swap in another outlet and go from there. You already have a new contactor, which has eliminated some of the options.

9. Re: E14 PTO Electrical Question 
    Good Suggestion, Chad. I will test with a deck. Right now, the lift is buried a bit in the barn so it will be a while before I can get things moved around. It gets hot with no load, so I am wondering if it is just normal? The PTO outlet and the plug and wires are not warm at all. I am thinking I will take Nick's suggestion and measure some things and also measure the temperature on the contactor. Maybe what I am calling "hot" is just normal "warm." Have a wedding this weekend so I will report back in a week or two. Thanks for the help!

PS: I LOVE your forklift! It has made a huge difference because I can reach the haylofts on both sides of the barn and can store as much as I want up there and leave the floor clear. Thanks again for parting with it.