Notices

Thread: E8M Restoration

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. E8M Restoration 
    So I bought an E8M off craigslist for $80 and am going to restore it to its former glory. I will be posting my efforts along the way for those interested and as fuel for others to tell me of something that I am doing wrong LOL. I have started to disassemble the mower and have come across some incredible finds...like a rat/wasp nest under the steering wheel compartment, or the time I found particle boars (or what was left of it) in the battery compartment, that was practically dust. The project so far has been a lot of learning, researching, and head scratching, but I am making progress and am moving forward. The parts that I have taken off (motors, housings, the hood, and other easy to take off parts) I have been using electrolysis to remove both the paint and rust, as you can see from the pictures it works really well, just used a wire wheel on my drill press to give everything a final clean. I also have taken apart the motors and cleaned the commutators and armatures, along with replaced all the bearings. More updates and pics to come!
    Attached Images

2. Re: E8M Restoration 
    Welcome to the group. Looks like you're off to a great start, keep us up to date!

Nick

3. Re: E8M Restoration 
    I have finished the restoration of one of the deck motors and have tested it a little it makes a little noise but is far smoother spinning and sounding than when i started...my question is, should the motors be completely silent or is there a little noise to them as they spin?
    Attached Images

4. Re: E8M Restoration 
    The brushes will make noise on the commutator bars, that is normal. It's kind of a hum/whirr sound. You will also note a slight cogging feel when you turn them over. This is all normal. Abnormal would be any type of grind or scraping sound.

Are you attempting to pull the blade adaptor in the second photo?

Nick

5. Re: E8M Restoration 
    Yeah I used the puller to remove those components it worked pretty well after some hits with PB blaster. I'm glad that it is normal, I will try and record it and post it so let you guys hear the sound!

6. Re: E8M Restoration 
    Video of the sounds when connected to a 12V battery (deep cycle)

7. Re: E8M Restoration 
    Forgot to attach maybe here is link if insert does not work

https://youtu.be/sGbGshC8LGg

8. Re: E8M Restoration 
    I would say what's in the video is pretty normal. It seems a little more pronounced than I'm accustomed to hearing it, but I think that's just the video. If the commutator was turned and/or new brushes installed, then the sound will diminish with time as the brushes seat to the commutator.

Nick

9. Re: E8M Restoration 
    So I have most of the parts of the mower stripped and ready for primer and paint...the frame is in a stock tank de-rusting and the 2 deck motors rebuilt. I have some questions about the drive motor though. I have what i think is most of it but if anyone has a link or picture of a broken down one that would be great so I can order missing parts for it...pictures to come

10. Re: E8M Restoration 
    There is a book that shows the various motors in exploded format. Here is a link: http://www.elec-trak.com/forum/showt...d-Motor-Manual

Sounds like you're coming along well!

Nick