Notices

1. New to it all! What do I have here? 
    I recently purchased a house that includes outbuildings. In the outbuilding I found these two tractors. The wheel horse is in rough shape and not complete. The white one I do not know anything about but it does look complete, minus the batteries. Just looking to gather a little information on the two units. I believe i have also found a plow and dozer for these tractors, not sure though. I forgot to take picture of plow.
    Attached Images

2. Re: New to it all! What do I have here? 
    Greetings!

The orange and white tractor is a New Idea Elec-Trak. If you're not familiar, New Idea was a farm equipment manufacturer in the era these machines were produced (early to mid 70s). GE made the majority of the New Idea tractors.

The red one is a Wheel Horse C-185. This is equivalent to a GE E20 in horsepower. The red mower deck in the third photo (I think) would attach to the front of the C-185.

The dozer blade would work with either tractor, but would require a mounting bracket specific to each. I'm not sure what the bracketry in front of the dozer blade is from or for. It looks like a home-made drawbar of some sort.

Are you thinking of keeping the equipment, or just looking to figure out what came with your new property?

Nick

3. Re: New to it all! What do I have here? 
    Hi John,

Where abouts in Ohio area you. I'm between Cincinnati and Dayton, and travel to Cleveland often. If you're nearby, I would be glad to help you figure out what you have, condition, etc. I can possibly help you get them going if you need it as well. It would be a little later. I have a lot of irons in the fire right now. That is a nice find you got there.

Billy

4. Re: New to it all! What do I have here? 
    Thanks guys! such a quick response! I am located in the NW Ohio region, about an hour west of Toledo Ohio. Thats the biggest well known city to me!I am not sure as to what I am doing with the tractors. I am contemplating selling them as I am looking into something that could shovel plow for this upcoming winter as we have a rather long stone drive way. I am pretty good working on gas powered things but I have very little knowledge on the electrical front. That is what worries me in taking on the project of getting one to work.

5. Re: New to it all! What do I have here? 
    West of Toledo is out of my area! =) I usually travel to the south side of Cleveland when I go north.

Both of those machines are more than capable of moving snow or dirt. There are many attachments for these tractors. They are very versatile machines. Do some research on them before you decide to sell. You may want to keep them.

These tractors are sometimes parked because of bad batteries, in running condition. It usually just takes cleaning some contacts and connections to get them going again...if that's the case. It's nice if you can put 36V to it and see if anything happens...after doing a visual check on all wiring of course. Sometimes that is difficult for someone that doesn't tinker with these. Not everyone has 3 12V batteries laying around.

Good luck with whatever you do with them.

Billy

6. Re: New to it all! What do I have here? 
    I am contiplating selling it at this moment as I have some other bills coming due soon. Law enforcement does not pay what everyone thinks! what would you estimate the value of each one at?

7. Re: New to it all! What do I have here? 
    John if you are looking to sell them you could also try the other web page http://www.ge-electrak.com and post on there as well...

Chris C.

8. Re: New to it all! What do I have here? 
    John, I recommend you keep one eye open for attachments and spare parts. Those can really add a lot to the value of an electric tractor.

9. Re: New to it all! What do I have here? 
    Never any good at paint colors .
    Last edited by fwilliams; 12-25-2016 at 07:01 AM.