Notices

1. Charging issues....please help! 
    I have a couple questions about an E-20, at least thats what I think it is. We tested the charger and it read 13 volts from the charger, replaced diodes and it reads almost zero now. 1- will the tractor run if the charger is removed? I would have to tape up the orange wire off the bottom of the heat sink, and the ground. 2- were does the ground wire go? My ground seams to go to a single bolt on the charger base, and this bolt connects to nothing else. 3- Is there a wire coming out of the top of the transformer that grounds to the transformer? I seam to have one that does, I am thinking that is wrong. I just bought new batteries and can not charge them. While installing a plow a friend dropped a socket into the charger and sparks flew and broke one of the diode wires, replaced diodes like I said and still nothing, worked fine before.

The red breaker button by the fuses, how far does it push in, this only moves about a 1/4 inch, is that normal?

2. Re: Charging issues....please help! 
    Greetings,

The tractor will run fine without the stock charger. Many people use aftermarket chargers on their tractors. If there were sparks, then I think it's pretty likely that the circuit breaker blew. It is the red button coming through the "firewall" under the hood. It requires a pretty hard push to reset if it has tripped. You should hear a definite click if it resets. You can drop the panel down too, and use a multimeter to determine if it has actually tripped.

If you haven't already, I would highly recommend downloading the Homeowner's Service Manual: http://www.elec-trak.com/forum/showt...Service-Manual It has a pretty good writeup on the stock charger.

As far as the wiring goes, there is a stud that is used as a junction point between the tractor wiring and the transformer. This line goes from the charger to the circuit breaker and then on to the pack negative. Note, this should be insulated from the frame - there should be no chassis ground. The diode heat sink serves as the connection point to the positive side of the tractor wiring (goes to the power disconnect switch).

Nick

3. Re: Charging issues....please help! 
    Ok, charger is producing 40.4 volts, It looks like guy working on it put ground from tractor in wrong place, SO....you have the orange power wire going from tractor to bottom of heat sink on charger, where does the black ground go from the tractor...to the top of the transformer?

4. Re: Charging issues....please help! 
    The only thing that connects to charger transformer is the ground connection to the 120VAC line. The orange wire connects to the base of the diode heatsink (as you said), this should be wire 2. The negative side of the charger connects to wire 30 (the black one from the tractor harness) on the stud that is attached to the charger plastic base. The stud is between the diode heat sink and the notch where the lift motor comes up.

Nick

5. Re: Charging issues....please help! 
    Thank you for your help, I got it to run, bad ground.