Notices

Thread: Tire Fix?

1. Tire Fix? 
    I have the original "Elec-Trak" branded tires on my E8M and I am really wanting to save them. They have significant dry rot cracks and do not hold air, I am afraid that if I try to use inner tubes that the tubes will bulge out of the cracks. I have researched "foaming" the tires for stability and support, and would try that...I think, but would gluing the cracks closed from the inside and then adding inner tubes be a better idea? I just don't know and don't want to spend the money on new tires. Any help on the matter is much appreciated!

2. Re: Tire Fix? 
    I've decided to just get new tires...I found the front tires but am having trouble with finding the rear wheels with tires, I did find these http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1432_200331432 but they are a bit taller. 18x8.5-8. Does anyone have an experience replacing the rear tires with larger ones?

3. Re: Tire Fix? 
    I think the big difference between the 6.5 and 8.5 is the width. Of course, a wider tire on the same size rim will crown up higher. I'm not really sure it matters very much. If you do want to replace them with stock size tires, try M.E. Miller Tire company. They list both sizes on their website.

I have heard good things about a product called "Tireject", which is a tire sealant. Of course, it won't help strengthen the sidewalls if they are badly dry rotted. It will, probably, get them to hold air. At this point, though, sounds like you've already chosen the replacement route. I think that's the best bet.

If you have the one piece rims/wheels and were able to get them off of the axles, then I would strongly advise you use a lubricant like never-sieze to make sure you can still get them off in the future. This has proven to be a real problem for the small frame tractors.

Nick

4. Re: Tire Fix? 
    Usually you can put a tube in any tire that is still in one piece. I have used 40+ year old tires with tubes many times. You have to carefully inspect every square inch of the inside of the tire, and run your hand over every part of the inside that looks OK, to make sure there are no nails or wires or even sharp bits of old hard rubber poking inwards that would pop the tube. If it's all smooth, you really don't need to worry about cracks and holes smaller than 3/8 of an inch.

The drawback to ancient garden tractor tires is that they are hard as rocks, and the tread pattern on a Turf-Saver tractor tire is supposed to be made out of soft rubber. It has pretty poor traction when it's old and hard. It's also a fairly rough ride compared to squishy new rubber, and noisy on tarmac.

BE AWARE that when you increase the height of a tire, you are increasing the diameter and more importantly the *weight*. I think the large frame Elec-Traks all used a Peerless/Tecumseh transmission that has 3/4" axles, which are pretty beefy and can handle wheel weights and fluid-filled tires. (But I could be wrong!)

I would never increase the tire size on any machine if I had any other choice, because I have seen air-cooled VW owners literally twist their axles off by putting heavier tires and wheels on them. But on a tractor it's much safer than on most other vehicles.

5. Re: Tire Fix? 
    Thanks for the advice guys, I purchased new tires from Northern Tool and got wider ones for the back (all they had in an 18" on the rim) and welded some steel pipe to the inside of the tire to make up the collar difference from the old tire to the new. Drilled a new hole through both the pipe and axle and then put a new pin through both with plenty of grease and anti-seize to be able to take it off anytime in the future. I only have the wiring left to do and this restoration will be DUN!