Notices

Hybrid View

1. Original Charger Installation 
    I have an E12s with a "smart charger" that has been failing for a few years now. Overcharges the fronts by a wide margin without fully charging the rears. I did rotate the batteries a few times over the last few years but the issue is getting worse. Had virtually no run time using the snow blower this year. The batteries check "okay" on the meter but are on the fringe of "okay" on the rears. I purchased a rebuilt original charger a few years back with the intention of replacing the current smart charger. Family, work and all the rest so never got around to it. I am the point where I cannot ignore it anymore. I may even have to replace the batteries but am unsure. I think I need to get the charger installed and see what happens.

So….I have no idea where to start. I just want to be sure I do not cut anything that I will need for installation of the original charger.

Paul

2. Re: Original Charger Installation 
    Hi Paul,

On the E15 (basically the same as the E12S) the original charger is hooked to the tractor's wiring with wire 2 and wire 30. Wire 2 attaches to the heat sink on the charger and runs to the switched (non-battery) side of the power disconnect. Wire 30 attaches to a stud on the base of the charger (this is wire 30 on the charger too) and runs to CB2 (this is the breaker mounted to the "firewall" of the tractor, next to the fuse block). The wire from the charger attaches to the side that runs to the accessory plug (the small round one) which is also wire 30.

This is detailed on page 5-23 of the Homeowner's Service Manual. If you haven't downloaded a copy yet, now is a good time to do so. If the original wiring is gone, I would replace it with 10 gauge or larger. I'm fairly sure the original is 10 gauge. If your 'smart' charger divides the pack into 3 banks, I would advise just disconnecting and taping off both ends.

Nick

3. Re: Original Charger Installation 
    Thanks for helping out Nick. I am very visual so pictures would be beneficial. I will download the shop manual and I may even have a partial copy but what I have seen of those in the past, they were not easy to visually understand. In addition, If I could either contact you directly or post pictures here of my current set-up, you can then perhaps understand my subsequent questions. Short of replacing a contactor and a few fuses, I have virtually no experience working on these tractors. My lift motor is dead as well.

Paul

4. Re: Original Charger Installation 
    Sure, feel free to email pictures. I currently have a lot of irons in the fire, so it may take me a little while to answer. I will include the address below. The machines seem intimidating at first, but all of the wiring is numbered so it really isn't too bad once you get into it. The lift motor is immediately next to the charger, so that will be convenient for troubleshooting.

Do you have a multimeter? Also, if the original wiring is gone, you will also need a quality crimping tool for attaching terminals to the new wires.

Nick

kc2dzb <at> nycap <dot> rr <dot> com

5. Re: Original Charger Installation 
    Nick's right, you really need the Homeowner's Service Manual. Download and print the whole thing. It has all the pictures and diagrams you need, and it lets other people help you by referring to those pictures and diagrams.

6. Re: Original Charger Installation 
    Just as busy here Nick so not sure when I will get to this project. However, I will start by sending pictures sometime this week. Thank you.

Paul